Five BC RCMP officers have been charged in connection with the death of a man during arrest almost six years ago.
Two police officers have been charged with manslaughter and three others have been charged with attempted obstruction of justice in connection with Dale Culver’s July 18, 2017 death.
The incident began around 10:30 p.m. when police responded to a call that they searched a vehicle parked on the 1000 block West of Central Street in Prince George, according to the Independent Investigation Bureau.
Four RCMP officers could face charges in 2017 death of Prince George
Nestlé sells Delicio, lean meat chops, slices and frozen in Canada
IIO said the man tried to flee after being questioned by police.
“While trying to detain the man, a fight ensued between him and officers and additional officers arrived. OC (pepper) spray was used,” IIO said in a May 2020 media release. I got
“The man appeared to be having trouble breathing and police requested medical assistance. Officers reported that the man was removed from the police vehicle and collapsed when emergency medical services (EHS) arrived.” He was pronounced dead shortly thereafter.”
Mobile phone video obtained by Global News shows parts of the arrest. At one point in the video, multiple police officers are seen holding a man down, but then a single officer is seen pinning him to the sidewalk.
In an interview with global news radio CKNW at the time, Culver’s girlfriend Alicia Wisla admitted that Culver had been in and out of prison and making a living on the streets, but he had turned his life around, He said he was a good father.
Police may be charged in Campbell River, British Columbia man’s death
The IIO civil affairs chief submitted a report to prosecutors outlining that two officers may have been guilty of the use of force and three others may have been guilty of obstruction of justice. bottom.
In a media release Wednesday, the BC Prosecution Service said charges were filed against five officers on Feb. 1.
Two BC RCMP officers charged with assault over 2019 arrest in Richmond
‘Dances with Wolves’ actor arrested, accused of running sex cult and abusing young girls
Constant Paul St. Marie and Const. Jean-François Monet is now indicted for manslaughter.
Constant Arthur Dallmann, Const. Clarence (Alex) Alexander Macdonald and Sgt. Bayani (John) Eusebio Cruz has been charged with attempted obstruction of justice.
All officers are scheduled to appear in Prince George District Court for the first time on March 14.
BC RCMP spokesperson Dawn Roberts said in an email that the Mounties cooperated fully with the investigation, but expressed concern that it took prosecutors six years to approve the charges.
“It has caused undue stress to the man’s family, our members and their families, and the community who were looking for clarity and answers about what happened,” Roberts said.
Roberts said Const. McDonald is currently on leave for reasons unrelated to the prosecution, and his four other officers remained on duty.
“Their mission status is subject to ongoing evaluation, and the RCMP is seeking additional information to inform internal processes,” said Roberts.
Blaine Sauvé, president of the National Police Federation, which represents RCMP officials, also expressed concern about the time it took to indict.
“We understand the challenges associated with lack of funding and human resources, but this delay is simply unacceptable and unfair, and the people of British Columbia deserve better.” Sauvé said in a statement.
© 2023 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.