Expansion of railway stations
A heritage owner of a train station on the northern tip of Kelowna wants to expand its commercial footprint.
They are seeking both a heritage restoration contract and a development permit to expand the existing liquor store building as well as add two buildings to the site.
This location at 520 Clement Avenue was the original train station that welcomed newcomers to Kelowna in 1926.
In 2010, it was transformed into a pub under the original heritage restoration agreement.
The new proposal, prior to staff planning, includes an expansion of the current liquor store building plus a one-story commercial building and a five-story mixed-use retail and commercial building located between the pub and Simplex. includes the addition of
An application in front of the staff states that “the neighborhood is rapidly changing with a number of high-density high-rise housing developments being built.”
“The proposed site design supports pedestrian connectivity to the building, railroad gardens, ginkgo tree courtyards, and surrounding streets.
“The architectural design of the new building has been carefully considered to create a respectful and harmonious relationship with the historic railway station building.”
The developer adds that the commercial use will build on the retail presence across the street on One Water Street.
“The building is designed to be compatible with, subordinate to and distinct from the historic railway station building, taking cues from the historic site and the industrial character of the area.”