Reviews and recommendations are unbiased and products are independently selected. Postmedia may earn affiliate commissions from purchases made through links on this page.
Bruce Lee may have died from drinking too much water.
Doctors are making this claim nearly 50 years after the martial arts icon died in Hong Kong in the summer of 1973 at the age of 32.
An autopsy at the time revealed that enter the dragon Starr died from swelling in the brain, and doctors blamed him for taking painkillers.
Researchers have now reviewed the evidence and concluded that Lee likely died of hyponatremia.
the team of experts Clinical Kidney Journal: “So, the inability of the kidneys to excrete the excess water caused Bruce Lee’s death.
“Bruce Lee hypothesizes that he died from a specific form of renal dysfunction, the inability to excrete enough water to maintain water homeostasis, which is primarily tubular function.
“This can lead to hyponatremia, cerebral edema (swelling of the brain), and death within hours if excessive water intake is not matched by urinary water excretion. This was Lee’s death.” … Ironically, Lee famously quoted “Be water, my friend,” but it seems that excess water ultimately killed him.
The study claimed Lee had multiple risk factors for hyponatremia, including drinking large amounts of liquids and using cannabis, which increases thirst.
Hyponatremia means an abnormally low concentration of sodium in the blood, which is necessary for fluid balance.
When out of balance, cells in the body, including the brain, swell.
Lee’s death has been surrounded by conspiracy theories for decades, including that he may have been assassinated by a Chinese gangster, poisoned by a jealous lover, or a victim of a curse. I got
His wife Linda Lee, 77, revealed a kung fu expert had been on a liquid-based diet of carrots and apple juice before his death.
Matthew Polly with a 2018 biography Bruce Lee, A Life Mentioned Lee’s repeated ingestion of water on the night of his death.
Lee was reported to have used cannabis frequently and described himself as “stoned to hell” in one letter.
Lee collapsed in May 1973, doctors diagnosed him with cerebral edema, and the martial artist admitted he ate Nepali hash prior to the incident.