Home World Iranian protest deaths, including 40 children, have happened in almost every province: UN

Iranian protest deaths, including 40 children, have happened in almost every province: UN

by News Desk
0 comment

The UN High Commissioner for Human Rights said on Tuesday that the situation in Iran was “critical” and that authorities had stepped up their response to protests that have killed more than 300 people in the past two months.

UN human rights spokesman Jeremy Lawrence said: “The rising death toll from protests in Iran, including the deaths of two children over the weekend, and a stepped-up response by security forces, are a sign of the country’s fears. “It’s a critical situation,” he said. Volker Turk at a news briefing in Geneva.

The Islamic Republic has sparked nationwide protests since the death of a 22-year-old Kurdish woman, Masa Amini, in moral police custody on September 16 after she was arrested for wearing clothes deemed “inappropriate.” involved in activity.

Tehran has accused foreign enemies and their proxies of organizing the protests, which have turned into popular uprisings by Iranians from all walks of society, and since the 1979 revolution the clerical rulers have poses one of the most daring challenges to

Iran’s World Cup team has expressed support for protests by refusing to sing the national anthem before the World Cup opener on Monday.

WATCH | Iran’s World Cup opener marked by protests and controversy:

Iran’s World Cup opener marked by protests and controversy

Supporters of Iran’s World Cup opener on Monday reported disputes between pro-government and anti-government groups inside stadiums, with one fan citing pre-Islamic revolution flags and protesters in Iran. He said he was asked to put away his T-shirts expressing support for the

Deaths in 25 of 31 states

Later this week, the UN Human Rights Council in Geneva is scheduled to hold a debate on the protests, which are expected to involve diplomats, witnesses and victims.

A proposal to be discussed in the session seeks to establish a fact-finding mission on crackdowns in Iran. Any evidence of abuse that such bodies may uncover could later be used in national and international courts, the UN document said.

In this image from video, a protester reacts after a water container was hit by a bullet during a protest in the Kurdish town of Javanloud in western Iran on Monday. (Henggo Human Rights Organization/Associated Press)

The Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) said more than 300 people, including more than 40 children, had been killed so far. These deaths are nationwide, with 25 of the 31 states reporting deaths.

In the same briefing, Lawrence also expressed concern about the situation in the mostly Kurdish city, where more than 40 people were reported killed by security forces in the past week.

Iranian state media reported last month that more than 46 security forces, including police, were killed in protests.

Government officials have not provided further estimates of the death toll.

40 foreigners arrested, Iran says

Iran, which has blamed “foreign opponents” for the protests, said on Tuesday that 40 foreigners had been arrested for their role in the unrest.

“So far, 40 foreigners have been arrested for their involvement in the protests,” said Masoud Setaesh, a spokesman for the Iranian judiciary, in a televised press conference.

In September, Tehran said nine Europeans had been arrested for their involvement in the protests.

Iran attacks Iraqi Kurdistan

In an attack linked to the protests, Iran’s Revolutionary Guard on Tuesday targeted a base of alleged “separatist terrorists” in Iraq’s Kurdistan region with missiles and kamikaze drones, the semi-official Tasnim news agency said. Stated.

Tehran has accused an Iranian Kurdish group taking refuge in Iraqi Kurdistan of fueling nationwide protests.

“In today’s operation, the base of a separatist terrorist group near Kirkuk, known as the Free Kurdistan Party, was targeted with missiles and kamikaze drones,” Tasnim said.

The news outlet also said that since November 14, the Revolutionary Guard has launched a new series of attacks against “separatist terrorists” in response to the group’s alleged anti-security actions in Iranian cities that border Iraq. said to have started.

Last week, two people were killed and 10 injured when rockets and a drone hit the headquarters of Iran’s Kurdish political party in Iraq’s Kurdish Autonomous Region.

Nuclear move may irritate Western nations

Meanwhile, Iran has begun enriching uranium to 60% purity at its underground Fordow nuclear facility, the country’s nuclear chief said on Tuesday. This could force Tehran to roll back its nuclear programme.

Enrichment to 60% purity is just one technological step away from weapons grade 90%. Nonproliferation experts have warned in recent months that Iran has enough of her 60% enriched uranium to reprocess into fuel for at least one of her nuclear bombs.

According to Iranian media, Mohammad Eslami said, “Iran said it would react seriously to any resolution or political pressure.. That is why Iran has been enriching uranium up to 60% purity at Fordawsite since Monday.” That’s why we started

The 35-nation board of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) passed a resolution on Thursday ordering Iran to cooperate urgently with the agency’s investigation into traces of uranium found at three undeclared sites. Iran had warned that the move could affect its “constructive relations” with the agency.

The IAEA said earlier this month that it believed Iran had further increased its stockpile of highly enriched uranium. Most recently, last week, the agency criticized Tehran for continuing to prohibit agency personnel from accessing or monitoring Iran’s nuclear facilities.

It has been almost two years since IAEA personnel gained full access to monitor Iran’s nuclear facilities, and five months since the monitoring equipment was removed.

US Secretary of State Anthony Brinken held a press conference with Qatar’s foreign minister in the capital Doha on Tuesday. (Karim Jafar/AFP/Getty Images)

US Secretary of State Anthony Blinken said Tuesday that he could not confirm Iran’s announcement.

During a visit to Qatar for strategic dialogue between the United States and Qatar, Brinken said Iran would seek to revive an agreement between Iran and world powers that eased sanctions against Iran in exchange for curbing its nuclear program. said he was trying to “insert an unrelated issue” in .

In 2018, the United States unilaterally withdrew from the nuclear deal under then-President Donald Trump. It reimposed sanctions on Iran and prompted Tehran to back down from the terms of the deal.

You may also like

Leave a Comment

Copyright ©️ All rights reserved. | Canadian Trends