The Ukrainian military claims that in some parts of Russia, the partial mobilization ordered by President Vladimir Putin last week includes the entire male population within a certain age range.
“So-called partial mobilization measures are underway in the Russian Federation and in some parts of Ukraine temporarily occupied by Russia,” the Chief of the General Staff of the Ukrainian Armed Forces said on Wednesday.
“In remote areas of the Russian Federation, the entire male population of a certain age group is targeted for mobilization, despite the lack of military and combat experience,” it said.
The General Staff claimed there were cases of parents with many children and men over the age of 60 being mobilized for military service.
CNN cannot confirm the allegations, but Russian commentators and some Russian regional officials said the mobilization was poorly organized and included drafting men who were specifically exempt from the order. I am dissatisfied with the situation.
The General Staff also said that “the lack of readiness to implement mobilization measures was noted at assembly points in the Belgorod and Rostov regions near the Ukrainian border.”
“Thus, newly arrived personnel must purchase winter uniforms and protective equipment at their own expense,” it argued.
CNN has reviewed numerous videos over the past few days showing Russian soldiers complaining about lack of equipment.