Home World Ukraine begins evacuating residents from Kherson, Mykolaiv | News

Ukraine begins evacuating residents from Kherson, Mykolaiv | News

by News Desk
0 comment

Ukrainian authorities have begun evacuating residents from recently liberated southern regions amid ongoing power and water cuts.

Ukrainian authorities have begun the evacuation of civilians from the recently liberated Kherson and Mykolaiv regions.

Authorities have urged residents of two southern regions that have been shelled for months by Russian forces to move to safer areas in the central and western parts of the country.

Ukraine’s Deputy Prime Minister Irina Vereshchuk said Monday that the government will give priority to women with children and the elderly, providing them with transportation, accommodation and medical care.

The evacuation comes more than a week after Ukraine recaptured the city of Kherson and its surrounding areas on the west bank of the Dnieper, a major battlefield expanding.

Since then, heading into the winter, residents and authorities alike have realized just how much power and other infrastructure Russian forces destroyed, or damaged, in the last week alone before they withdrew.

Ukraine is known for its harsh winters, and the capital Kyiv and other parts of the country are already covered in snow.

Russia has been attacking Ukraine’s power grid and other infrastructure from the air for weeks, causing widespread blackouts and leaving millions of Ukrainians without electricity, heat and water.

To combat this, 15 of Ukraine’s 27 regions were scheduled to experience a power outage lasting more than four hours on Monday, according to Volodymyr Kudritsky, head of Ukrainergo, the Ukrainian state power company. Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky says more than 50% of his energy installations in the country have been damaged by Russian missile attacks.

Zaporizhzhia has no “security concerns”

Meanwhile, the UN’s nuclear watchdog said there were no immediate nuclear safety or security concerns at the Russian-owned Zaporizhia nuclear power plant, despite the weekend’s shelling causing widespread damage.

The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), which has four staff at Europe’s largest nuclear power plant, Zaporizhia, said on Sunday that the heaviest shelling in months had taken place this weekend, but critical nuclear safety also added about Security systems were not attacked.

“they [IAEA experts] In a statement Monday, the IAEA was able to confirm that despite the intensity of the shelling, key equipment remained intact and there were no immediate concerns over nuclear safety or security.

The IAEA said “the status of the six reactor units is stable and the integrity of spent fuel, fresh fuel and low-, medium- and high-level radioactive waste in their respective storage facilities has been confirmed.” rice field. “Extensive damage throughout the site.”

The damage included “several impacts on the main road along the power plant’s reactor,” debris hitting the pressurized air pipeline, “minor visible damage to the sprinkler filling pipeline,” and included damage to the roof of what it called a special ancillary building.

“This is a cause for great concern as it clearly demonstrates the intensity of the attack on one of the world’s largest nuclear power plants,” the statement quoted IAEA Director General Rafael Grossi.

Grossi has warned for months of the potential for catastrophic artillery fire and called for a protected area around the plant. The IAEA said it had “intensified consultations” on protected areas after this weekend’s shelling.

You may also like

Leave a Comment

Copyright ©️ All rights reserved. | Canadian Trends